Human Development Index (HDI), Human Development (HD), health, education, and living standards.
The Human Development Index (commonly abbreviated HDI) is a measure of development based on factors such as life expectancy, education, literacy, and gross domestic product per capita and is published every year. To compute a HDI, component indices for life expectancy, literacy, school enrollment, and income are combined together into a single index that to date has been used to compare the level of human well-being among countries or to monitor one country’s progress over time. This paper extends HDI to the county level, using data from the state of Indiana, USA. The findings provide insights about the human development dimensions in the various counties to assess the development attributes of income, health, and education, as well as to provide a multidimensional benchmark to be used in practice
Full Text : PDF
- Alkire, S., 2002. Dimensions of human development. World Development, 30(2), 181-205.
- Alkire, S., 2010. Human development: Definitions, critiques, and related concepts. United Nations Development Programme. 2010(01), 1-74. Available at United Nations website: http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2010/papers/HDRP_2010_01.pdf [Accessed April 2013]
- Anand, S., and A. K. Sen, 1995. Gender inequality in human development: theories and measurement, New York: United Nations Development Programme.
- Anand, S., and A. K. Sen., 2000. The income component of the human development index, Journal of Human Development, 1, 1): 83-106. Also, printed in, 1999) mimeo, New York: UNDP Human Development Report Office.
- Anand, S., and A. K. Sen., 2003. Concepts of human development and poverty: a multidimensional perspective in Readings in human development: concepts, measures and policies for a development paradigm, eds. S. Fukuda-Parr and A. K. Shiva Kumar, New Delhi: Oxford University Press, pp. 204-220.
- Anand, S., & Sen A., 1994. Human Development: Methodology and Measurement. World Bank, New York.
- Anand, S., & Sen, A., 1993. Human development index: Methodology and measurement. United Nations Development Programme, Paper No. 8, http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/Anand_and_Sen_HDI.pdf [Accessed May 2013]
- Anand, S., & Sen, A. K. , 1995. Gender inequality in human development: Theories and measurement. United Nations Development Programme, Paper No. 19, 1-10.
- Anand, S., & Sen, A. K., 2000. The income component of the human development index. Journal of Human Development, 1(1), 83-106.
- Anand, S., & Sen, A. K., 2003. Concepts of human development and poverty: A multidimensional perspective. Readings in human development: concepts, measures and policies for a development paradigm, Oxford University Press, pp. 204-220.
- Bagolin, I.P., & Comim, F.V., 2004) Human Development Index, HDI) and its family of index: An evolving critical review. Available at: http://www-3.unipv.it/deontica/ca2004/papers/bagolin.pdf [Accessed June 2013].
- Bourguignon, F., and C. Morrisson., 2002), Inequality among World Citizens: 1820-1992, American Economic Review, 92, 4), 727-744
- Cramer, V., Torgersen, S., & Kringlen, E., 2004. Quality of life in a city: The effect of population density. Social Indicators Research, 69(1), 103–116.
- Diener, E. and Suh, E., 1997. Measuring Quality of Life: Economic, Social, and Subjective Indicators, Social Indicators Research, 40(1-2), 189-216, DOI: 10.1023/A: 1006859511756
- Diener, E. and C. Diener: 1995, the wealth of nations revisited: Income and quality of life, Social Indicators Research 36, pp. 275-286.
- Dzathor, A.Y., Rana, D., & Uwakonye, M., 2011. Analyzing the relationship between enhanced set of human development indicators and changes in gross domestic product: An empirical investigation. The Clute International Academic Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada. Available at: http://conferences.cluteonline.com/index.php/IAC/2011LV/paper/viewFile/797/805 [Accessed June 2013].
- Foster, J. E., L. Lopez-Calva, and M. Szekely., 2003, Measuring the Distribution of Human Development: Methodology and an Application to Mexico presented at the WIDER Conference on Inequality, Poverty and Human Well-Being, 30-31 May, Helsinki, Finland: WIDER.
- Gardner, J.W., & Sanborn, J.S., 1990. Years of potential life lost, YPLL): What does it measure? Epidemiology, 1(4), 322-329
- Hicks, D. A., 1997. The Inequality-Adjusted Human Development Index: A constructive proposal. World Development, 25(8), 1283-1298.
- Kulkarni, S.C., Levin-Rector, A., Ezzati, M., & Murray, C.J.L., 2011. Falling behind: Life expectancy in US counties from 2000 to 2007 in an international context. Population Health Metrics, 9(16), Available at: http://www.pophealthmetrics.com/content/9/1/16 [Accessed May 2013]
Liond, N., 2010. A calibrated index of human development. Social Indicators Research, 98(2), 301-319.
- Measure of America. 2010. Methodological notes. The measure of America 2010–2011, 272-281.
- Molina, G.G., & Purser, M., 2010. Human development trends since 1970: A social convergence story. United Nations Development Program Human Development Reports Research Paper, 2010(02), 1-28. Available at United Nations website:
- http://hdr.undp.org/fr/devhumain/parlons-dh/2010-02/HDRP_2010_02.pdf [Accessed July 2013].
- Muffels, R., & Headey, B., 2011. Capabilities and choices: Do they make sense for understanding objective and subjective well-being? An empirical test of Sen’s Capability Framework on German and British panel data. Social Indicators Research. ISSN: 1864-6689.
- Nussbaum, M. C., 2011. Creating capabilities: The human development approach. Harvard University Press.
- Ranis, G., 2004. Human development and economic growth. Economic Growth Center, Yale University, New Haven, CT. Available at http://www.econ.yale.edu/growth_pdf/cdp887.pdf [Accessed June 2013]
- Ranis, G., Stewart, F., & Samman, E., 2006. Human development: Beyond the human development index. Journal of Human Development, 7(3), 323-358.
- Sen, A. K., and J. E. Foster, 1997. On economic inequality, (Enl. / ed.), Oxford: Clarendon Press. Chapter 2 Measures of inequality.
- Sen, A., 2000. Social Justice and the Distribution of Income in Handbook of Income Distribution, Vol. (1), A. B. Atkinson and F. Bourguignon, eds), Oxford: Elsevier Science, pp. 59-85.
- Streeten, P., 1994. Human development: Means and ends. Human Development, 84(2), 232-237.
- Suh, E. M., & Koo, J., 2011. A Concise Measure of Subjective Well-Being, (COMOSWB): Scale development and validation. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 25, 96-114.
- Suh, E. M., & Sung, M., 2009. Collective well-being. In S. J. Lopez, Ed.. Encyclopedia of Positive Psychology. London, UK: Blackwell Publishing.
- Walton, D., Murray, S. J., & Thomas, J. A., 2008. Relationships between population density and the perceived quality of neighbourhood. Social Indicators Research, 89(3), 405–420.