Housing Finance, Mortgage Loan, Economic Growth, Capital
The aim of this study is to investigate the effect of housing finance on economic growth of West African States while the specific objectives were to: analyse the contributions to housing finance by mortgage banks on the economic growth of Nigeria, examine the impact of aggregate housing finance on economic growth of Ghana among others. Secondary data were used, covering the period of study 1985-2014. The ex-post facto research design was adopted in this study. The data gathered were analysed using Ordinary Least Square Regression Method. The findings revealed that the housing finance markets in Nigeria and Ghana are under developed. The policy implication is that if urgent steps is not taken to address the housing needs of the region, more people are going to live in slumps. We recommend that the government of WA States should create an enabling environment to attract both local and foreign investors to invest in the housing sector.
Full Text : PDF
- Akeju, A.A. (2007). Challenges to providing affordable housing in Nigeria. A paper presented at the 2nd Emerging ultra-Africa international conference on Housing Finance in Nigeria, held at SehuYar’adua Center Abuja, Nigeria.
- Afrane, S.K., Owusu-Manu, D., Donkor-Hyiaman, K.A., & Bondinuba, F.K. (2014). Toward innovative housing financing in Ghana: an evidence based from South Africa’s pension housing financing system. Journal of policy and administrative research 4(4): 97 – 110.
- Bank of Ghana (2007). The housing market in Ghana. Research department bank of Ghana.
- Bensouda, A. & Co, LP (2013). Improving land sector governance in the Gambia. Implementation of the land governance assessment framework (LGAF). Kanifing Institutional Area Kanifing Munipality.
- Boamah, N.A. (2010). Housing Affordability in Ghana: a focus on Kumasi and Tamale. Ethiopian journal of environmental studies and management, 3(3): 1 – 11.
- Boamah, N.A. (2014). Housing policy in Ghana: the feasible paths. GJDS, 11 (1).
- Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa (CAHF, 2013). Housing Finance in Africa year book: a review of some of Africa’s housing finance markets. Parkview, South Africa Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa, a division of Fin-Mark Trust.
- Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa (CAHF, 2015). Housing Finance in Africa year book: a review of some of Africa’s housing finance markets. Parkview, South Africa Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa, a division of Fin-Mark Trust.
- Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa (CAHF, 2016). Understanding Ghana housing finance market.
- Harris, S.C. (2014). Investment climate statement. U.S Department of State: 1 – 19.
- Hatfield, J.P. (2016). Innovation Affordable housing practices in Africa: cement block banking in the Gambia.Case study series 3. Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa
- Housing Finance policy center (HPPC 2018). Housing finance at a glance, a monthly chartbook, Urban institute elevate the debate
- Isa, K.B., Jimoh, R.A., and Achuenu (2013). An overview of the contribution of construction sector to sustainable development in Nigeria. Net Journal of Business Management, 1(1), 1 – 6.
- Nelson, I.D., Asamoah, R.O. (2014). Participation of real estate development in mortgage financing: push and pull factors in Ghana. International journal of management sciences 3(3): 126 – 139.
- Olaniran, O. (2003). Mortgage banking: principles, policies and strategies, Osogbo, Nigeria, Newdeal publications (nig) Ltd.
- Osibogun, D. (2016). Rething Nigeria’s Mortgage Financing Policies for sustainable development and global competitiveness of the chartered institute of Banking of Nigeria.
- Oyalowo, B.A (2012). Housing market constrains in the West Africa Region. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 3(II): 241-252
- Rust, H. (2012). The importance of housing finance in financial sector development in Africa. Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa, a division of FinMark Trust.
- Sanusi, J.O (2003) Mortgage finance in Nigeria: issues and challenges. Being text of a paper presented at the 9th John Wood Ekpenyong memorial lecture, organized by the Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers, January 29
- Weiss, N.E. & Jones, K. 2017. An overview of housing finance system in the United States. CRS Report, Congregational Research Service retrieved from www.crs.gov.
- Yinusa, O.G., Ilo, B.M. & Elumah, L. (2017), Mortgage financing and housing development in Nigeria Oshgbo Journal of Management 2(1): 57-67.