Egypt, Corporate social responsibility, corporate financial performance, corporate financial disclosure, Environmental, Community, Employee and customer
The aim of this paper to establish the relationship between corporate social responsibility disclosure and financial performance in the Egyptian banking sector. Only three banks were included in the study because Corporate Social Responsibility is a new concept that has not yet been fully established in the banking sector in Egypt. Secondary data were obtained from the annual financial reports of the banks for the period from 2008 to 2011. Corporate social responsibility score was obtained using content analysis of reports of the companies on various components of corporate social responsibility as reported in their annual financial reports. The present study identified four dimensions in the pilot study: Environment, Community, Customer, and Employee. Descriptive analysis was used to describe data collected such as Pearson correlation method. The authors used regression analysis to study the relationship between the dependent variables and the independent variables and the bank age and bank size were used as control variables in the analysis.
The results indicated an insignificant relationship between the independent variables (corporate social responsibility toward environment, community, customer, and employee) used in the model and the dependent variables Corporate Financial Performance as measured by (ROA, ROE, NPM, and EPS). The results of the study proved the absence of a significant relationship between the dependent and the independent variables as a whole. Yet, some relationships were found concerning individual measures.
The major limitation of this paper is the sample size. In addition, failure of corporations to disclose CSR in the annual reports will have a material effect on these findings.
The findings of this paper have practical implications on the management of Banks in Egypt to re-think and re-strategize their CSR policies that incorporate social and economic performance to improve their CFP.
Full Text : PDF
- Ajide, F.M. and Aderemi, A.A., 2012. The effects of corporate social responsibility activity disclosure on corporate profitability: Empirical evidence from Nigerian commercial banks. Journal of Economics and Finance, 2(6), pp.17-25.
- Aupperle, K.E., Carroll, A.B. and Hatfield, J.D., 1985. An empirical examination of the relationship between corporate social responsibility and profitability. Academy of management Journal, 28(2), pp.446-463.
- Branco, M.C. and Rodrigues, L.L., 2008. Social responsibility disclosure: A study of proxies for the public visibility of Portuguese banks. The British accounting review, 40(2), pp.161-181.
- Capriotti, P. and Moreno, A., 2007. Communicating corporate responsibility through corporate web sites in Spain. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 12(3), pp.221-237.
- Carroll, A.B. and Shabana, K.M., 2010. The business case for corporate social responsibility: A review of concepts, research and practice. International journal of management reviews, 12(1), pp.85-105.
- Cegarra-Navarro, J.G. and Martínez-Martínez, A., 2009. Linking corporate social responsibility with admiration through organizational outcomes. Social Responsibility Journal, 5(4), pp.499-511.
- Chapple, W. and Moon, J.,2005. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in Asia A Seven-Country Study of CSR Web Site Reporting. Business & society, 44(4), pp.415--441.
- Chen, H. and Wang, X., 2011. Corporate social responsibility and corporate financial performance in China: an empirical research from Chinese firms. Corporate Governance: The international journal of business in society, 11(4), pp.361-370.
- Cibeg.com, (2014). CIB - Home. [online] Available at: http://www.cibeg.com/ [Accessed 11 Sep. 2013].
- Davis, K. and Frederick, W.C., 1984. Business and society: Management, public policy, ethics. McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Douglas, A., Doris, J. and Johnson, B., 2004. Corporate social reporting in Irish financial institutions. The TQM Magazine, 16(6), pp.387-395.
- El-Bannany, M., 2007. A study of determinants of social disclosure level in UK banks.
- Fernando, M., 2007. Corporate Social Responsibility in the Wake of the Asian Tsunami:: A Comparative Case Study of Two Sri Lankan Companies. European Management Journal, 25(1), pp.1-10.
- Freeman, R.E., Wicks, A.C. and Parmar, B., 2004. Stakeholder theory and “the corporate objective revisited”. Organization science, 15(3), pp.364-369.
- Freeman, R.E., 1983. Strategic management: A stakeholder approach. Advances in strategic management, 1(1), pp.31-60.
- Gardberg, N.A. and Fombrun, C.J., 2006. Corporate citizenship: Creating intangible assets across institutional environments. Academy of management Review, 31(2), pp.329-346.
- Griffin, J.J. and Mahon, J.F., 1997. The corporate social performance and corporate financial performance debate: Twenty-five years of incomparable research. Business & society, 36(1), pp.5-31.
- Hamid, F.A., 2004. Corporate social disclosure by banks and finance companies: Malaysian evidence. Corporate Ownership and Control, 1(4), pp.118-130.
- Han, K. and Suk, D., 1998. The effect of ownership structure on firm performance: Additional evidence. Review of Financial Economics, 7(2), pp.143--155.
- Haniffa, R. and Cooke, T., 2005. The impact of culture and governance on corporate social reporting. Journal of accounting and public policy, 24(5), pp.391--430.
- Hsbc.com.eg, (2014). HSBC Egypt – Personal and Business Banking Services. [online] Available at: http://www.hsbc.com.eg [Accessed 2 Sep. 2013].
- Kennedy Nyahunzvi, D., 2013. CSR reporting among Zimbabwe's hotel groups: a content analysis. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 25(4), pp.595-613.
- Luo, X. and Bhattacharya, C.B., 2006. Corporate social responsibility, customer satisfaction, and market value. Journal of marketing, 70(4), pp.1-18.
- Mahoney, L. and Roberts, R.W., 2007, September. Corporate social performance, financial performance and institutional ownership in Canadian firms. In Accounting forum (Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 233-253). Elsevier.
- Malik, M.S. and Nadeem, M., 2014. Impact of corporate social responsibility on the financial performance of banks in Pakistan. International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences, 10(1), pp.9-19.
- Mandhachitara, R. and Poolthong, Y., 2011. A model of customer loyalty and corporate social responsibility. Journal of Services Marketing, 25(2), pp.122-133.
- Margolis, J.D. and Walsh, J.P., 2003. Misery loves companies: Rethinking social initiatives by business. Administrative science quarterly, 48(2), pp.268-305.
- M'arquez, A. and Fombrun, C., 2005. Measuring corporate social responsibility. Corporate Reputation Review, 7(4), pp.304--308.
- McGuire, J.B., Sundgren, A. and Schneeweis, T., 1988. Corporate social responsibility and firm financial performance. Academy of management Journal, 31(4), pp.854-872.
- Menassa, E., 2010. Corporate social responsibility: An exploratory study of the quality and extent of social disclosures by Lebanese commercial banks. Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 11(1), pp.4-23.
- Moyer, R., McGuigan, J. and Rao, R., 2005. Contemporary financial management fundamentals. 1st ed. Mason, Ohio: Thomson/South-Western.
- Nuryaman, 2013. The Effect of Corporate Social Responsibility Activities on Profitability and Stock Price. Journal of global management, 6(1), pp.113-124.
- Ogiri Itotenaan, H., Samy, M. and Bampton, R., 2014. A phenomenological study of CSR policy making and implementation in developed countries: The case of the Netherlands and Sweden. Journal of Global Responsibility, 5(1), pp.138-159.
- Oeyono, J., Samy, M. and Bampton, R. (2011). An examination of corporate social responsibility and financial performance: A study of the top 50 Indonesian listed corporations. Journal of Global Responsibility, 2(1), pp.100--112.
- Pava, M.L. and Krausz, J., 1996. The association between corporate social-responsibility and financial performance: The paradox of social cost. Journal of business Ethics, 15(3), pp.321-357.
- Qnbalahli.com, (2014). QNB ALAHLI - Home. [online] Available at:
- http://www.qnbalahli.com/ [Accessed 14 Sep. 2013].
- Rahman Belal, A., 2001. A study of corporate social disclosures in Bangladesh. Managerial Auditing Journal, 16(5), pp.274-289.
- Saleh, M., Zulkifli, N. and Muhamad, R., 2011. Looking for evidence of the relationship between corporate social responsibility and corporate financial performance in an emerging market. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Administration, 3(2), pp.165-190.
- Shen, C.H. and Chang, Y., 2009. Ambition versus conscience, does corporate social responsibility pay off? The application of matching methods. Journal of Business Ethics, 88, pp.133-153.
- Simpson, W.G. and Kohers, T., 2002. The link between corporate social and financial performance: Evidence from the banking industry. Journal of business ethics, 35(2), pp.97-109.
- Trong Tuan, L., 2012. Corporate social responsibility, ethics, and corporate governance. Social Responsibility Journal, 8(4), pp.547-560.
- Tsang, E.W., 1998. A longitudinal study of corporate social reporting in Singapore: The case of the banking, food and beverages and hotel industries. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 11(5), pp.624-635.
- Tsoutsoura, M., 2004. Corporate social responsibility and financial performance. Center for responsible business.
- Ullman, A., 1985. A Critical Examination of the Relationship Among Social Performance, Social Disclosure, and Economic Performance. Academy of Management Review, 10(3), pp.540-577.
- Vitaliano, D.F., 2010. Corporate social responsibility and labor turnover. Corporate Governance: The international journal of business in society, 10(5), pp.563-573.
- Vitezić, N., 2011. Correlation between social responsibility and efficient performance in Croatian enterprises.
- Waddock, S.A. and Graves, S.B., 1997. The corporate social performance-financial performance link. Strategic management journal, pp.303-319.
- Wood, D.J., 1991. Corporate social performance revisited. Academy of management review, 16(4), pp.691-718.
- Yoshikawa, T. and Phan, P.H., 2003. The performance implications of ownership-driven governance reform. European Management Journal, 21(6), pp.698-706.