Diversification Strategies, Economic Development, Oil-Depended Economy, Competitiveness
Diversification strategies adopted by oil-depended economies' played an important role in the economic development in these countries, which rely heavily on oil exports. UAE as an oil-dependency economy has the type of strategy to diversify the sources of its national income and reduce its dependence on oil to counter the instability in global oil prices. This paper seek to investigate whether the diversification strategies adopted by (UAE) is adequate to manage its economic development. The methodology employed in this study is to examine the contribution of diversified sectors based on the country's GDP especially during and after the global financial crisis (2008-2012) using statistical analysis procedure. The results confirm that investment in different sectors rather than oil would have substantially improved the performance UAE economy.
Full Text : PDF
- Akpinar, Mirat, internationalization & diversification a study on the drivers of Growth Strategies Journal of Global Business Issue. Volume 3 issue : 2 2009 page 1.
- Annual Economic Report (2012).
- Gulf News – Jan. 26. 2015.
- Gulf News Dec. 2014
- Hamad Al-Hashemi, Tomas Lamanausks, Ali Abu Kumail, Golib Kholjigitov and Angela Antony, :Abu Dhabi – UAE Petrochemical cluster, Micreconomics of competitiveness : firms clusters and Economic Development.
- Haryopratomo, Sauja Kos, lavin Samtani, Sheela Subra mmnian, and Jay verjea : the Dubai Tourism Cluster from the desert to the dream, microeconomics of competitiveness 6 May 2011 harvard business school.
- Heyderiech, Florian 2010 "Economic Diversification: Evidence for the United Kingdom, Joveary – April 2010. Volume :16 issue : 1 page 71.
- Hvidt, Martim, Kuwait Programme on Development, Government and Governance and Globalisation in the Gulf States.
- Inflation data. Com.
- International Monetary Fund.
- Maskell, Peter, Heikki Eskelinen, lngjaldur Hannibalsson, Adners Malmberg and Eirik Vatne : Competitiveness Localized learning and regional development specialization and prosperity in small open economy: Routledge Frontiers of Political Economy 1998.
- Ministry of Energy UAE – www.moenr.gov.ae.
- Porter, Michael E "Regions and competitiveness implications for Saudi Arabia" Global Competitiveness Forum Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, January 26. 2010.
- Porter, ME Building a competitive UAE Economy : the New Learning Dubai, UAE 7 May 2003.
- Porter, Me UAE competiveness for the third Millennium: The Role of Government. Institute for strategy and competitiveness. Harvard business school Dubai, UAE January 24, 2010.
- Shackmerone, Yochanan : Economic Development in the Middle East : Penn Institute for Economic Research : University of Pennsylvhania USA. 2004.
- Sharply, Richard, the Challenges of Economic Diversification Tourism : The Case of Abu Dhabi : International Journal of Tourism Research. Wiley Inter Science 10 April 2002, p221-235.Shihab, Mohamed : Economic Development in the UAE.
- The Abu Dhabi Economic vision 2030 the document developed by: General ………….. at the Executive council, department of planning & Economy, and Abu Dhabi Council for Economic Development November 2008.
- The UAE's National Bureau of Statistics – web site UAE vision 2021.UAE vision 2021. www.vision 2012.ae.
- Ugo Fasano, "Diversification om oil Dependent Economics: The experience of the GCC countries : UNFCCC workshop Tehran, October 18 – 19, 2003.
- Ulrichsen, Kristian Coutes, Repositioning the GCC States in the Changing Global Order: Journal of Arabian Studies 1,2 (December 2011), pp. 231 – 247.WAM Dec. 2014
- World Bank Report : Prospects for the Global Economy : Hopes, reality, and risks April 2013 Washington, D.C. World Economic Forum.