ICT, digital divide, financial development
Information and communication technology (ICT) tools are regarded as imperative not only for enabling the economy to grow at a healthy rate, but also for elevating the socioeconomic conditions and standards of the society. In concurrence with the widespread diffusion of ICT, lies the phenomenon called digital divide â€“ a complex issue pertaining to unequal access, use and applications of ICT among countries and peoples. This paper attempts to measure the contribution of conventional factors such as affordability, infrastructure, trade openness and urbanization, with added emphasis on the role of financial development in explaining cross-country development of ICT among Southeast Asian countries. Using panel data for 4 countries for the period 1994 â€“ 2011, findings of this study revealed that GDP is the most significant determinant in explaining digital divide â€“ consistent with findings from previous research efforts. Financial development also appear significant in most models adopted in all three ICT tools, implying the need for these countries to improve their financial markets to avoid falling further behind in promoting a digitally inclusive society
Full Text : PDF
- Asia-Pacific Economic Corporation. (2002). The New APEC Economy: Innovations, Digital Divide and Policy, 2002. Report, Economic Committee (EC).
- Billon, M., Lera-Lopez, F., & Marco, R. (2010). Differences in Digitalization Levels: A Multivariate Analysis Studying the Global Digital Divide. Review of World Economics.
- Chinn, M. D., & Fairlie, R. W. (2004). The Determinants of the Global Digital Divide: A Cross-Country Analysis of Computer and Internet Penetration.
- Chinn, M. D., & Fairlie, R. W. (2007). The determinants of the global digital divide: a cross-country analysis of computer and internet penetration. Oxford Economic Papers-new Series.
- Cooper, R., & John, A. (1988). Coordinating Coordination Failures in Keynesian Models. Quarterly Journal of Economics CIII, 3, 441-463.
- Dasgupta, S., Lall, S., & Wheeler, D. (2005). Policy Reform, Economic Growth and the Digital Divide. Oxford Development Studies, 33(2), 229-243.
- Dedrick, J., & Kraemer, K. L. (1998). Asia's computer challenge: Threat or Opportunity for the United States and The World. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Guillen, M. F., & Suarez, S. L. (2005). Explaining the Global Digital Divide: Economic, Political and Sociological Drivers of Cross-National Internet Use. Social Forces, 84(2), 681-708.
- Hargittai, E. (1999). Weaving the Western Web: Explaining Differences in Internet Connectivity Among OECD Countries. Telecommunications Policy.
- Hassan, M. K. (2003). FDI, Information Technology and Economic Growth in the MENA Region.
- ITU (2003). World Telecommunication/ICT Development Report. International Telecommunication Union. Geneva.
- Kiiski, S., & Pohjola, M. (2002). Cross-country diffusion of the Internet. Information Economics and Policy, 14(2), 297-310.
- Kraemer, K. L., Ganley, D., & Dewan, S. (2005). Across the Digital Divide: A Cross-Country Multi-Technology Analysis of the Determinants of IT Penetration.
- Mordi, C. N. (2010). The Link Between the Financial (Banking) Sector and The Real Economy. Economic and Financial Review, 48/4.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2001. Understanding the Digital Divide. Paris: OECD.
- Ono, H. (2005). Digital Inequality in East Asia: Evidence from Japan, South Korea and Singapore. Asian Economic Papers.
- Quibria, M. G., Ahmed, S. N., Tschang, T., & Reyes-Macasaquit, M. (2003). Digital Divide: Determinants and Policies with Special Reference to Asia. Journal of Asian Economics, 13(6), 811-825.
- Saint-Paul, G. (1992). Technological Choice, Financial Markets and Economic Development. European Economic Review.
- Shchetinin, O., & Baptiste, M. (2008). How to Overcome the Digital Divide? The Determinants of Internet Diffusion.
- Srinuan, C., Rohman, I. K., Srinuan, P., & Bohlin, E. (2009). Digital Divide in ASEAN Countries: How wide is the gap and what is the role of independent regulator?
- Wong, P. K. (2002). ICT Production and Diffusion in Asia Digital Dividends or Digital Divide? Information Economics and Policy.
- Yartey, C. A. (2008). Financial Development, The Structure of Capital Markets, and The Global Digital Divide. Information Economics and Policy