Zimbabwe, short-term insurance, ethics, consumer, confidence
The aim of this paper is to assess whether the allegations of unethical practices within the short term insurance industry exist and determine whether or not they are the major hindrance of growth of the sector and provide recommendations for the sector. The researcher used primary and secondary sources. The secondary data sources comprised of journal articles, books, newspaper articles, financial reports and internet. The research instrument used was in the form of a closed questionnaire with a five point Likert scale. The sample size consisted of 23 insurers and 50 individuals. The data was analyzed using SPSS 16.0. From the research findings, it can be concluded that even though there are unethical practices in the industry, they are not the major hindrance of growth of the short-term insurance industry.
Full Text : PDF
- Chikundura, C., (2010). Africa and the insurance penetration ratio. Baobab-Re: Harare
- Corbin (2006), Establishing ethics for insurance professionals
- Flanagan, P., Premeaux, P., Ferguson, W., (2007). Insurance ethics for a more ethical world. Elsevier: Oxford.
- Gavriletea, M.D., (2008). Ethics in insurance industry. The Amfiteatru Economic Journal, 10 (23), 193-199.
- Goosen, X., Vuuren, L.V., (2005). Institutionalising ethics in organisations: The role of mentorship. SA Journal of Human Resource Management, 2005, 3 (3), 61-71.
- Hakutangwi, R., (2012). Discipline urged in insurance sector. Retrieved from www.herald.co.zw
- Hennig-Thurau, T., Gwinner, K. P., Gremler, D.D., (2002). Understanding relationship marketing outcomes: An integration of relational benefits and relationship quality. Journal of Service Research, 4(3), 230-247.
- Independent (2012). Short-term insurers report increase in premium. Independent
- IPEC (2009). Report on Short term insurers and reinsurers
- Jeurissen, (2004). Ethics for life scientists. Dortrecht: Springer.
- Ndlela, D., (2008). Zim's insurance industry reaches for a lifeline. Retrieved from www.bizcommunity.com
- Pappas, T.M., (2008). Ethics in the insurance industry. National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies) Commercial Lines Seminar: Chicago
- Lin, S., (2012). Effects of ethical sales behavior considered through transaction cost theory: To whom is the customer loyal? The Journal of International Management Studies, 7 (1), 31-40.
- Yen, H. J., Gwinner, K.P., (2003). Internet retail customer loyalty: The mediating role of relational benefits. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 14(5), 483-500.