Multinational, Financial risk, Tax risk, Chevron
This study sought to find out the management practices employed by multinational companies in controlling the financial and tax risks they are exposed to. It also assessed the management practices used by multinational companies in the recent financial crisis. This study is relevant since multinational companies located in developing countries operate under different business environments. Hence, multinational companies in developing countries should control financial risk by using management practices conducive for the environment they operate in. Chevron Corporation was used as a case study. Data were obtained from its annual financial statement published on their website covering the period of year 2009-2018. Based on the result of the Stepwise regression analysis we identified the significant predictors in conditions of the economic environment to estimate the corporate prosperity and profitability measure of Chevron Corp.
Full Text : PDF
- Chobot, M, 1994. Approaches to risk measurement in strategic and financial management. Volume 42, pp. 40-54.
- Demidenko, E. & McNutt, P., 2010. The ethics of enterprise risk management as a key component of corporate governance.. International Journal of Social Economics, 37(10), pp. 802-815.
- Dufey et al., 1983. The case for corporate management of foreign exchange risk.. Financial Management, pp. 54-62.
- Giddy, Ian H., 1983. The foreign exchange option as a hedging tool. Midland Corporate Finance Journal, Volume 3, pp. 32-42.
- Li, M and Miu, P, 2010. A hybrid bankruptcy prediction model with dynamic loadings on accounting-ratio-based and market-based information: A binary quantile regression approach. Journal of Emprical Finance, Volume 17, pp. 818-833.
- Vicig, P., 2008. Financial risk measurement with imprecise probabilities. Int. J. Approx. Reason., Volume 49, pp. 159-174.
- Alaka, H.A. et al., 2018. Systematic review of bankruptcy prediction models: Towards a framework for tool selection. Volume 94, pp. 164-184.
- Ben Javeur, S., 2017. Bankruptcy prediction using Partial Least Squares Logistic Regression. Volume 36, pp. 197-202.
- Blasques, F et al., 2016. Spillover dynamics for systemic risk measurement using spatial financial time series models. Journal of Economics, Volume 195, pp. 211-223.
- Campos, R. et al., 2004. Financial credit risk measurement prediction using innovative soft-computing techniques. In Computational Finance and its Applications. Volume 38, pp. 57-66.
- Chai, Y. and Xia, E., 2008. Financial risk measurement and prevention. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Risk and Reliability Management. 10-12 November.
- Elgood et al, 2014. Tax risk management guide..
- Hwang, R.C. and Chu, C.K., 2018. A logistic regression point of view toward loss given default distribution estimation. Quant. Finance., Volume 18, pp. 419-435.
- Leitch, M., 2003. Risk management history and regulations (UK).
- Mello et al., 1995. An integrated model of multinational flexibility and financial.. International Economic Review, Volume 39, pp. 27-51.
- Shapiro et al., 1992. Multinational Financial Management. Volume 4.
- Smith et al., 1990. Managing Financial Risk.
- Su, J. and Furman, E. A., 2017. Form of multivariate Pareto distribution with applications to financial risk measurement.. Volume 47, pp. 331-357.
- Tudorache, I.C, 2017. Bankruptcy prediction models for Romanian. Bucharest, Bucharest University Economic Studies, pp. 519-525.
- Weinberger, M et al., 2012. Tax risk and controversy survey, UK: Ernst & Young.