SME, Sustainability, Drivers, Barriers, Green Business, Implementation
Presently the conducted studies on how SMEs should integrate sustainability align with their core business principle is limited. Most of the discussion on this field is emphasized to address issues for larger organizations and very limited effort on small firms. The drivers and barriers of approaching sustainability practices in SMEs are different from those in large organizations since SMEs lack technical specialist, experience and money required to make such strategy. Since SMEs play a significant role in nation’s economic growth, it is essential to study and find their drivers and barriers toward sustainability business practices constitutes main motivation of this paper. This is a primary finding that aims to understand the SME motivation and barriers that are facing in implementing green sustainable business practices to offer insight look to small firms to find key factors that influence adoption of sustainability business approach within their management practices.
Full Text : PDF
- Freyman, J.R.,. (2011). Interaction between Feasibility and Desirability in the Formation of Entrepreneurial Intentions. Journal of Business Venturing, 26, 431-440.
- Schaper ,S. (2012). A framework for ecopreneurship. Leading pioneers and environmental managers to ecopreneurship. Greener Management International No. 38: 45–58.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2011). Australian small business, key statistics. ISBN 978-1-921916- 17-5. ABS Cat. No. 8155.0.Canberra, Australia
- Parisa, S, Jerry. C,Raveendranath, R.N. (2013), Small Enterprise Association of Australia and New Zealand 26th Annual SEAANZ Conference Proceedings 11-12 Sydney 2013, University of Ballarat,
- Marie, F.(2012) Corporate sustainability and innovation in SMEs: evidence of themes and activities in practice. Journal of Business Strategy and the Environment, 19(7), 417-435.
- Katia JA. (2010), Social enterprise in the United States and Europe: understanding and learning from the differences. International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 17(3), 246–262.
- Beltz , N. (2009). Is the good corporation dead? The community social responsibility of small business operators, The Journal of Socio-Economics, 33, pp. 221-241.
- Cohen, B. & Winn, M. I. (2009). Market Imperfections, Opportunity and Sustainable Entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing, 22(1), pp. 29-49.
- Gibbs, D. (2009). Sustainability Entrepreneurs, Ecopreneurs and the Development of a Sustainable Economy. Greener Management International, 55, 63-78.
- Majid, I.A., &Koe, W.L. (2012). Sustainable Entrepreneurship (SE): A Revised Model Based on Triple Bottom Line (TBL). International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 2(6), 293-310.
- Carter, R. (2012) .Assessing Corporate Environmental Risk in China: An Evaluation of Reporting Activities of Hong Kong Listed Enterprises., Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 12, 88-104.
- Barron, W. and Steinbrecher, N. (eds) (2004) Heading Towards Sustainability? Practical Indicators of Sustainability in Hong Kong, Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong
- Collet , D. (2014). Corporate social responsibility: a stages framework, European Business Journal, 16, pp. 143-152.
- Tylor A. (2012). How corporate social responsibility is defined: An analysis of 37 definitions. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 15, 1-13. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/csr.132
- Kearny A. (2013) UK environmental policy and thesmall firm: broadening the focus. Business Strategy and the Environment, 12(1): p. 26-35. Available at http://ww2.frost.com/
- Tseng, M. L. (2009), ‘Application of ANP and DEMATEL to Evaluate the Decision-Making of Municipal Solid Waste Management in Metro Manila’, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 156, September, pp. 181–97
- Hamrawi H, Coupland S (2009) Type-2 fuzzy arithmetic using alpha-planes. In: Proceedings of the IFSA-EUSFLAT conference, Lisbon, 20–24 July
- Jassbi J, Mohammadnejad F, Nasrokkahzadeh H (2011) A fuzzy DEMATEL framework for modeling cause and effect relationships of strategy map. ExpertSystAppl 38:5967–5973
- Simpson, M., Taylor, N. and Barker, K. (2011), 'Environmental Responsibility in SMEs: Does It Deliver Competitive Advantage?' Business Strategy and the Environment, 13(3), pp.156-171.
- Bradford, J. and Fraser, E. (2008) Local Authorities, Climate Change and Small and Medium Enterprises: Identifying Effective Policy Instruments to Reduce Energy Use and Carbon Emissions, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 15 (3), pp.156-172.
- McMullen, J.S. (2007). Toward a Theory of Sustainable Entrepreneurship: Reducing Environmental Degradation through Entrepreneurial Action. Journal of Business Venturing, 22(1), 50-76
- Chan, J. C.-H. and Welford, R. (2012) .Assessing Corporate Environmental Risk in China: An Evaluation of Reporting Activitiesof Hong Kong Listed