Developed countries, developing countries, Human Development Index, institutional quality, KOF Globalization Index
Increased global economic integration, global forms of governance, globally inter-linked social and environmental developments are often referred to as â€œglobalizationâ€. The target of this article is to prove the dependency of globalization on human development. The first part provides the methodology of measuring overall globalization with emphasis on the KOF Index of Globalization 2007. The Index of Globalization includes economic, social, and political contexts. The second part introduces one of the parameters of institutional quality â€“ HDI (or rather IHDI as the real indicator of the level of human development) and its methodology. The Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index combines three dimensions: A long and healthy life, access to knowledge, and a decent standard of living. The third part compares indices and scores together, analyzes them, and confirms or refutes the empirical relationships between the Index of Globalization and its parts and the Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index. It is possible to conclude from the results achieved in the study that globalization remains primarily, a very strong and powerful economic phenomenon. But spurring growth rates and reducing poverty in countries with poor institutions cannot be done simply by globalizing their economies
Full Text : PDF
- ATK/FP 2011. Globalization Index. A. T. Kearney Consulting Group and Foreign Policy Magazine (2002 and following years). Available from Internet: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/.
- Amavilah, V. H. 2009. National Symbols, Globalization, and the Well-Being of Nations. REEPS Working Paper, no. 20091. Available from Internet: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/14882/1/MPRA_paper_14882.pdf.
- Bednářová, P.; Laboutková, Š.; Kocourek, A. 2011. On the Relationship between Globalization and Human Development. In Kocourek, A. (ed.) Proceedings of the 10th International Conference Liberec Economic Forum 2011. Liberec: Technical University of Liberec, 61-71.
- Bergh, A.; Nilsson, T. 2010. Good for Living? On the Relationship between Globalization and Life Expectancy. World Development, 38 (9): 1191-1203.
- Bjørnskov, C. 2006. Globalization and Economic Freedom: New Evidence. University of Aarhus, the 2nd Danish International Economics Workshop, 2006.
- Borensztien, E. et al. 1998. How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth? Journal of International Economic, 45(1): 115-135.
- Chanda, A. 2001. The Influence of Capital Controls on Long Run Growth: Where and How Much? North Carolina State University. Available from Internet: http://www.ncsu.edu/.
- Dollar, D.; Kraay, A. 2004. Trade, Growth, and Poverty. Economic Journal, 114(493): F22-F49.
- Dreher, A.; Siemers, L. H. R. 2005. The Intriguing Nexus between Corruption and Capital Account Restrictions. KOF Working Paper 113, ETH Zurich, 2005. Available from Internet: http://www.rwi-essen.de.
- Dreher, A. 2006. Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a New Index of Globalization. Applied Economics, 38(10): 1091-1110.
- Dreher, A.; Gaston, N.; Martens, P. 2010. Measuring Globalization – Gauging Its Consequences. 2nd Ed. New York: Springer Science+Business Media.
- Ekman, B. 2003. Globalization and Health: An Empirical Analysis Using Panel Data. Lund: Lund University.
- Garret, G. 2001. The Distributive Consequences of Globalization. Yale: Yale University.
- Greenaway, D. et al. 1999. Exports, export composition and growth. Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 8(1): 41-51.
- Heineman, F. 2000. Does globalization restrict budgetary autonomy? Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, 35(6): 288-298.
- Human Development Report 2011: Sustainability and Equity: A Better Future for All. 2011. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. Available from Internet: http:// hdr.undp.org /en/media /HDR_2011 _EN_Complete.pdf.
- International Human Development Indicators. 2011. New York: UNDP. Available from Internet: http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/tables/default.html.
- KOF Index of Globalization. 2011. Zurich: Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich. Available from Internet: http://globalization.kof.ethz.ch/static/rawdata/ globalization _2011b _long.xls.
- Sameti, M. 2004. Globalization and Size of Government Economic Activities. Isfahan: Isfahan University.
- Tsai, M. C. 2007. Does Globalization Affect Human Well-Being? Social Indicators Research, 81(1): 103-126.
- Vymětal, P.; Žák, M. 2005. Instituce a výkonnost [Institutions and Performance]. Politická ekonomie, 53(4): 545-566.
- WMRC. 2001. World Markets Research Centre. Available from Internet: http://www.globalinsight.com/.