Consumption Factors; Economic Development; Entrepreneurship; Gross Domestic Product; Saudi Arabia.
One of key objectives of modern economics is to determine factors that influence the economic development. This paper, therefore, seeks to discuss entrepreneurship as one of the factors that influence the economy of a nation, either directly or indirectly. It is a fact that entrepreneurship plays a significant part in shaping the landscape of a countrys economy. Economists and policy makers recognize this fact. In fact, entrepreneurship is the engine of economic growth and it has come to be perceived as a catalytic agent for expansion and promotion of productive activities in every sphere of global economy life. This research will focus on finding out how entrepreneurship influences the economy of Saudi Arabia. The paper will begin with a brief introduction of the topic before proceeding to present a comprehensive review of literature relevant to the topic. It will then proceed to present an overview of relevant variables used in determining the role played by entrepreneurship in the economy of Saudi Arabia. There will then follow a discussion on the disadvantages of entrepreneurship to the economy. The paper will end with a conclusion summarizing all the keys points discussed, research limitations, and recommendations for further research.
Full Text : PDF
- Alhajji, A. (2015, 4 1). Saudi Arabia Oil Prices and Shale Energy. Retrieved from Economia: http://economia.icaew.com/opinion/april-2015/saudi-arabia-oil-prices-and-shale-energy
- Alsodais, S. (2013, 9). Science, Technology and Innovation in Saudi Arabia. Retrieved from WIPO: http://www.wipo.int/wipo_magazine/en/2013/05/article_0006.html
- Bathelt, H. (2001). Competence and economic Recovery: Divergent Growths Paths in Bostons High Technology Economy. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 287-317.
- Faria, J., Cuestas, J. and Mourelle, E. (2010), “Entrepreneurship and unemployment: a nonlinear bidirectional causality?” Economic Modelling, 27(10), 1282-1291
- GTI. (2013). Exports Today. Retrieved from Global Trade Information Services: http://www.gtis.com/english/
- Hamod, D. (2010), “Cultivating the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Saudi Arabia”, US-Arab Tradeline, XVII (1) spring, 1-3.
- Kayed, R. & Hassan, K. (2013). Islamic Entrepreneurship: Durham Modern Middle East and Islamic World Series. New York: Routledge.
- Kelley, D., Bosma, N., & Amorós, J. (2010). Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM). Global Report: Babson.
- Muhammad, F. (Nd). Entrepreneurship in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Retrieved from Young Saudi Entrepreneurs: http://saudientrepreneurship.com/
- Quandl. (2015, March). Saudi Arabia Unemployment Summary. Retrieved from www.quandl.com: https://www.quandl.com/collections/saudi-arabia/saudi-arabia-unemployment
- Salem, M. I. (2014). Building an Entrepreneural Economy: Evidence From Developing Countries. Retrieved from International Business and Economic Research Journal: file:///C:/Users/StarKiss/Downloads/8599-34095-1-PB%20(2).pdf
- Sarkar, S. (2014). International Journal of Finance and Policy Analysis. London: Universal Publishers.
- Smith, D. (2010) "The Role of Entrepreneurship in Economic Growth”. Undergraduate Economic review: Vol. 6: Iss.1, Article 7. Retrieved from: http://digitalcommons.iwu.edu/uer/vol6/iss1/7
- Summers, D. (2012, 6 10). How Saudi Arabia Will Influence The Oil Market to Benefit Their Economy. Retrieved from Oilprice: http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/How-Saudi-Arabia-Will-Influence-the-Oil-Market-to-Benefit-their-Economy.html
- Thurik, R., Carree, M., Stel, A. and D. Audretsch. (2008), “Does self-employment reduce Unemployment?” Journal of Business Venturing, 23(6), 687-698.
- Tiwari, A. (2007). Entrepreneurship development in India. Mumbai: Sarup & Sons Publishers.
- Trading Economics. (2015). Saudi Arabia. Retrieved from Trading Economics: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/saudi-arabia/gdp-growth-annual